Saturday, February 2, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Afraid

Five Minute Friday

Once again, I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo's writing exercise with Five Minute Friday, setting the timer for five minutes and writing about the single word she gives us.

Today's word is "Afraid".

Here I go~

I remember trembling, walking in, more aware of myself than at any other time. My hair was cut short, like a boy...an unfortunate, misguided attmept over the summer by my parents to deterr the tangles they combed out daily in my almost waist length hair.

The summer we moved.

A new state. A new school. A new grade. It was here, I remember, my first feelings of unworthiness. Outcast. Different. Weak.


Picked on. Bullied. Ignored.

Well, by the majority., anyway. I did have a few friends at church. But none I felt I would miss when we finally moved again two years later.

Again, a new state, a new school, a new grade.

I thought that season was over, that season of being afraid of what others thought, what they would say, what they would do. But it wasn't. It only grew, with my hormones, and other hormonal, prepubescent preteens.

It can be too much to bear sometimes. Can't it?

~stop

My five minutes is up, but this story isn't. I will finish another day. In the meantime, what does the word "afraid" mean to you? Join us to share your thoughts...only 5 minutes!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it can be too much. I've been in bondage to fear for most of my life. Only recently have I felt some freedom from it. It's hard work!! You wouldn't think NOT doing or feeling something would be so difficult, but it really is!!

    I look forward to reading more of your story. Linked over from Five Minute Friday. nice to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I'm not always able to respond to every comment that's left, but I do read and appreciate every one!